Thursday, January 20, 2011

Back to Martinique

We left Rodney Bay at 9:15 this morning and anchored in Anse D'Arlet at 2:30. We had intended to go further, but thought better of it when I got antsy to figure out what was wrong with the starboard engine. It made a hollow sound on our way out of the anchorage in Rodney Bay, and we shut it down after realizing it was not spitting out any water in the exhaust. After anchoring and before "Douane" (that's Customs in French), I took out the impeller. This brand new, Johnson impeller, the most expensive fuddleduddler in the stores, had disintegrated, with the rubber coming off the little brass hub. Here I am, thinking how smart I am by changing these buggers at the start of each year even if they show no wear. I might be saving myself from normal failure, but I guess I increase the opportunities to find the faulty ones.

The crossing was just fine, with 15 to 20 knots of wind just as advertised. Two reefs in the main and varying the amount of jib made for steady speeds between 6 and 7 knots. Significant water onto the bows, but none into the cockpit.

We once again provided bling to the fishies. This time it was a 4 foot marlin. He was so upset he jumped out of the water until he was totally out of sight, showing off the squid every time.

Here is the same shot, but cropped down so you can see the fish!


Nothing for the plates for supper.

Tomorrow, we're going to snorkel in Anse Noir, pick up bread and wine in FdeF, and head up to St. Pierre.