Saturday, November 21, 2009

Another work day in the heat

I wrote this excerpt last evening (Friday), however, was unable to make a connection to the Internet, so here it is:

Today in the heat, we managed to get quite a few items crossed off our list. Echo Tech, where we purchased our water maker back in 2004, was able to refit our tube with a new membrane at a cost of 560.00 US dollars. Wasn't that nice of them to deliver it to us when they finished doing the job? Every day there are locals looking for work from the cruisers. We were approached by Gary (aka Mr. Clean) who told us that it would take him 2 days and 2 men to wash and wax the sides of the boat. Since I recently had carpal tunnel surgery and didn't want to risk that kind of abuse, we decide to pay him the 325.00 US and get the job done. They started by around 8:00 this morning and had the boat completed by 4:00 - in my time keeping abilities that is just one day. I don't know why he thought it would take 2 days, but he certainly convinced us that it was going to be a long hard chore to get this boat ship shape. Well, it's done and I didn't do it, so I'm happy! While they were working on the outside, I waxed and polished only half of the cockpit before I quit for the day. Sweat was pouring off my cheeks, nose and chin. I couldn't get enough water into me. Most of the locals wear long pants and black shirts...what's up with that? Are they part camel??

Laurie did a cool job on our new seat out in the cockpit. He bought a pedestal with a swivel top meant for a seat. He then went to a wood working shop and they put together a cute little 12 by 15 inch table top made out of two layers of teak. When we have company, we'll lift the captain's chair off the existing pedestal and put it in the new lower spot. On the old pedestal, we'll pop on the little table to use for drinks and snacks. While sailing, we'll switch them back again and we'll then have the captain's chair where it belongs and I'll be able to use the little table to stand on in order to see, which replaces the old rubermaid stool I used to stand on.






Yesterday, Laurie advertised on the morning net that he had some charts on the north Atlantic for barter or trade…it’s not legal to sell without the duty and tax thing. So, when Andreas from ‘Aphrodite’ dropped by, we traded our charts for dollars. Tonight, we’re going to dinner with them at a local restaurant. They have rented a car – what a treat this will be! They are from Germany, but excellent English. We have yet to meet his wife, Cordula.