Monday, November 23, 2009

The Do-List Dwindles

Our do-list was a mile long when we arrived here only 6 days ago and now we're down to only 2 items left. It felt great to clean up the dinghy and get it up on the davits complete with outboard motor that Laurie serviced and tested yesterday. This morning, I cranked Laurie up the mast for an inspection of the mast head light and the antennas. While he was there, check out the photos he got of this place (Peake's at Chagaramas). He even took one of himself, which I think he learned from our neice Kendra! Laurie knows to be extra polite to me when I get him up the mast, or he'll be stuck up there until I decide to let him down.


You can see the large tent affair I made a few years back. It was always too windy to use it successfully in windy anchorages, but it is doing the trick here. It's much easier to keep the boat cool with the extra shade and the boat stays drier in the torrenial rains they seem to happen several times a day.


This is the same boat lift that will put Cat Tales back in the water on Wednesday.





We went to dinner with the German couple rom the boat Aphrodite on two separate nights. Hopefully we'll see them somewhere up the island chain. Their boat has been put back into the water today, so they've left the boatyard! The other day, Cordula offered me a drive to the huge grocery store in her rental car. I gladly accepted and filled a cart with anything I might need over the next few months. The prices here aren't perfect, but they're the lowest we can expect from here on up the islands. My bill was in Trinidad and Tobago dollars and came to over $1800.00. We divide by 5 to get a close figure in Canadian dollars. Laurie and I will catch the bus tomorrow and finish off our grocery list. Sadly, it will be by bus and back packs and rolling carts in the excessive heat!

Apparently the Queen is coming here to visit us at the end of the week. We have no idea how much this will change routine and interfere with business around here. They have hired extra coast guards to harrass us and the helicopters have been flying over head today.